Quote o' the day

Coming Soon: Slices of a Normal* Life ON ICE!
(Not really, of course! Could you imagine what a trainwreck that would look like?!)

Thursday, March 7, 2013

3/7: This Big Beautiful Bedazzling Author is Jared Diamond!

I see a little silhouette of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, can you do the fandango? Thunderbolts and lightning, very very fright- oh, sorry about that. That song has been stuck in my head all day, ever since I discovered that some classmates of mine who shall remain nameless *cough*Emma*cough* have never listened to "Bohemian Rhapsody." I have to say, I get how annoying it is when fanatics freak out because you haven't heard of something that the average person doesn't know about anyway, but here, it's a different story. For example, when I mentioned Bill Cosby to Blain, the name didn't even ring a bell. This isn't some Kelly Clarkson-doesn't-know-Miguel case (by the way, who is he and how did he get nominated?); we're talking about BILL-flippin'-COSBY!!! Oh, dang it. Royal Canterlot voice again. I might as well put a label on the Caps Lock button that reads that.

Meanwhile, in Humanities, the Jared Diamond virus rages on! Okay, probably none of you understood what I just said. To provide a little background, our history teacher, the honorable Mr. Johnathan Olsen, has become the god of HTHS's internet meme culture. (Except, of course, when being a god is the meme itself, as in the case of His Ultimate Awesomeness Ray Zeng. All hail!) During our lessons about civilizations' developments following the Late Middle Ages, Mr. Olsen frequently referred to Mr. Diamond's book, Gums, Germs, and Steel. I mean very,very frequently. Afterwards, he's shown various hints that he's obsessed with Jared Diamond, not to mention his excitement when word came that the author was appearing at the Stevens Institute of Technology. Needless to say, the HSPA test takers immediately exploded with laughter when they discovered that the first article was written by none other than Mr. Diamond himself. It was at that point when I finally made the connection that Jared is also a jewelry store. Go figure. I also discovered this interesting tidbit:




Has unwavering obsession with diamonds (preferably from Jared, I'd presume)






Mr Olsen


Has unwavering obsession with Jared Diamond

 However, both have a RADICALLY different reaction to the name "Tom." Huh.

Okay, time to get back in the rundown business! First off, I had an extra rehearsal to work on the musical's choreography (so mind my lateness), apparently returning a missing script is harder than it sounds, Middletown proved once again to almost have a weather shield around it (no snow, and no delays. Dang.), I'm getting back to that song I still haven't finished, Kyle White persists to have a league of haters on Facebook, letters from West Point keep pouring in for some reason, and my parents are pretty pleased with the work I'm doing here (though not so much about certain comments!)
Okay, that's it. Leave a comment, please follow the blog, and stop reading blogs at a time when you could be enjoying the nightlife! Seriously, I don't even read half the stuff I write!

No comments:

Post a Comment